Monday, August 18, 2008

How Can You Be So Sure?

MARIE
"How can you be so sure?"
BENNY
"I just know that’s all."
MARIE
"But I mean…"
BENNY
"Really, I’m 100% sure. I did the research."
MARIE
"Yeah but can I trust you?"
BENNY
"Trust me to what?"
MARIE
"To know what you’re talking about."
BENNY
"Oh."
MARIE
"See what I mean?"
BENNY
"Well I just think you’re being very existential about it. It’s not that big a deal."
MARIE
"Existential or not, I’m just saying…"
BENNY
"Well I think it’s safe enough to give it a try."
MARIE
"Oh now it’s safe enough. What happened to 100% sure?"
BENNY
"I thought you wanted to do this?"
MARIE
"I do."
BENNY
"Are you sure? You don’t act like it."
MARIE
"What do you mean? Just because I want to be careful."
BENNY
"Well that’s what I mean. Being so careful about it, it’s just…"
MARIE
"Just what? Not spontaneous?"
BENNY
"Well, no it’s not very spontaneous."
MARIE
"Well I just want to be practical, you know?"
BENNY
"Yes, I do know it. And I’ve been very careful in my preparations for this."
MARIE
"But are you sure?"
BENNY
"I’m 100% sure."
MARIE
"You think so?"
BENNY
"Look, you are just being difficult…and it’s spoiling the moment. I mean, I had so looked forward to this."
MARIE
"Well, I looked forward to it too."
BENNY
"You did?"
MARIE
"Yes, of course I did."
BENNY
"Well, you’d never know it. You’re so…"
MARIE
"I am not."
BENNY
"Yes, you are."
MARIE
"Am not. I’m just trying to keep my head on my shoulders. I don’t want to get carried away."
BENNY
"Carried away where? We’ve been talking about this for days now, and I thought we had our minds made up."
MARIE
"Well, yeah, as far as that goes."
BENNY
"As far as what goes."
MARIE
"Well the basic decision to do this, you know."
BENNY
"Okay then. Where are we right now? Are we going to do it or not?"
MARIE
"We’re going to do it, probably."
BENNY
"Probably. Probably isn’t good enough. I want to do it, damn it. And we’re already here."
MARIE
"And I’m with you in spirit, really I am. It’s just I don’t want to rush in and then be sorry later on."
BENNY
"You actually think something is going to go wrong, don’t you?"
MARIE
"Well, I do want to be prepared for whatever could go wrong, don’t you?"
BENNY
"I am prepared. I’m prepared to handle whatever happens if and when it comes up."
MARIE
"Wow. So you think we can just handle it."
BENNY
"Yes, I think you and I can handle anything that might happen here."
MARIE
"Even if the worst happened?"
BENNY
"Well, yes, but the worst isn’t going to happen."
MARIE
"Oh it isn’t."
BENNY
"No."
MARIE
"No?"
BENNY
"No. Definitely not."
MARIE
"There you go again with the definitely."
BENNY
"Look this is getting us nowhere. Let’s just forget about it. Let’s just leave now."
MARIE
"You don’t mean that."
BENNY
"Damn it."
MARIE
"Well don’t get mad about it."
BENNY
"I’m just frustrated, that’s all."
MARIE
"Well so am I."
BENNY
"What should we do now?"
MARIE
"Maybe we should wait."
BENNY
"What are we waiting for?"
MARIE
"I don’t know. A feeling of certainty."
BENNY
"Well I already have a strong feeling of certainty. I have enough certainty for us both."
MARIE
"So what’s the problem?"
BENNY
"What problem?"
MARIE
"The problem."
BENNY
"I don’t have a problem. You do."
MARIE
"I don’t have a problem."
BENNY
"Well you most certainly do have a problem."
MARIE
"I’m just not as cavalier about this as you are."
BENNY
"Oh now I’m cavalier?"
MARIE
"Well you are more of a risk taker than I am."
BENNY
"I’m telling you, it’s going to be good. Why can’t you just trust me?"
MARIE
"Well, I guess if I just throw caution to the wind…"
BENNY
"You won’t be sorry."
MARIE
"I hope you’re right."
BENNY
"So order already."

No comments: