Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Where did "The Diary" go?

I took "The Diary Of A Child Molester" down. I'm serious about publishing the novel, and posting it on the internet is a good way to give it away. I want to keep it.

I also have two screenplays in the works. One is called "Finishing Touches." It's about my grandmother's funeral. The other is called "Leaving Prison." It's about a prison escape and the manhunt that follows.

I'm also going to be writing for the "Urban Politico" blog. My topic areas to begin with are Alternative Economies and Corrections In America. I don't know much about economy, so I will be learning as I go. My first article will be about the Gift Economy at Burning Man, the annual experimental community in the Black Rock Desert in Nevada. Other upcoming topics will include alternative currencies, not a new idea historically but being tried in some places here in the U.S., and turning our workforce model on its head. What if we picked our own jobs? I'm open to other suggestions for inquiries into alternative economy ideas.

I will never be done writing about Corrections In America. I recently wrote a letter to the editor of our local newspapers (Spokesman-Review and The Inlander), taking a position against plans for a new jail in our county. I could write an article about every point I made in my letter.

Of course, I'm not limited to these topic areas. I can write about anything I like. I think it's going to be a lot of fun, and writing non-fiction is reminiscent of my years as a reporter.

So that's what's going on. There aren't enough hours in the day to get it all done, so I'm going to have to get a work ethic about my writing. With Tre starting full-day school this year, I'm hoping I will be able to develop a daily writing routine. I signed up for a Writing Workshop and joined a Writers Group, so making my writing more of a priority and that feels right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very happy to see your continued pursuit of writing. I will be following you. I have neglected my writings in THE BAYOU but should resume soon.
THE BAYOU