Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Serenity's Kitchen

I have a new writing project. It's a radio show, intended to be like the old time radio shows, but set today. It's called Serenity's Kitchen. Serenity is a mother of 3 and a school teacher. She is very organized and on top of things. She likes order, planning, completion, tidiness. Her husband Warren is a financial planner. He is distracted, clueless, easy-going. They have two teenagers, Mariah 15 and Wendell 14. Mariah is a great kid. She and her friends always have a cause or a mission they are on. But they also have a tendency of getting in trouble. But good kids. Wendell is a chemist. He's the egghead of the family. He and his friends are Trekkies. They build rockets for fun. Tre is the youngest at 7 years old. He's just a happy little boy, trying to figure out what is going on.

Serenity's mother Evelyn and Warren's father Elmer also live with the family. Evelyn lives in a little cottage out back. She has an herb garden and teaches pole dancing at the gym. She is very proud of her youthfulness and good health. She also knows just what everybody else needs to take to cure whatever ails them. Evelyn is an old hippie and a free spirit. Elmer lives in the basement apartment in the house. He is a retired Naval Officer. Elmer knows all about sinking ships, but his grandchildren are beyond his comprehension, as is his counterpart, Evelyn. Elmer recites poetry when nobody else is around. He's gruff in his manner, but has a soft heart.

Everyone's paths cross in the kitchen.

Each episode is about 10 minutes long, and the show airs every other week on KYRS Thin Air Community Radio in Spokane. It's one segment of the Seasoned Players Program, every other Sunday from 4-5 p.m.

It can be streamed on the internet at www.kyrs.org.

Being the Producer/Director of the show is focusing my creative energy. I love writing scripts, so it's great fun for me. I'm surprised to find myself writing jokes. I didn't know I had it in me. But I really like the show as comedy, not the slapstick kind, but the human kind.

The first episode, "Waiting For The Mail" aired this past Sunday. I'm really happy with the diversity of voices in the cast. You can always tell who's talking, they all sound so different. I'm also playing Evelyn, which is great fun for the actor in me.

Well that's what's happening. I'll post the scripts if I can't figure out how to post the audios. I hope I can figure out how to post the episodes, so you can listen to them.

No comments: