Thursday, December 3, 2009

Script: Around The Corner

I wrote this in response to a prompt for my writing class. All I could think of was this walk in the canyon. There's no drama, no plot, no characterization, in fact there's absolutely nothing. But it's a great memory just the same.

Around the corner: A Memoir
By Roseanne Lasater


Two people walk hand in hand along the edge of a canyon. The Sun is high and it’s the middle of August. They walk hand in hand.


ROSE

Wow, look. Here’s the trailhead.

RICHARD

Yes.

ROSE

It’s tempting, huh?

RICHARD

It sure is.

ROSE

What do you think? Do we have time?

RICHARD

Well. We have a little time.

ROSE

Okay, so we won’t go far, okay?

RICHARD

We can’t go far. We have to get back pretty quick.

ROSE

Wait. How long have we been gone?

RICHARD

Oh, probably less than ten minutes. Not long.

ROSE

Well they’re probably okay, don’t you think?

RICHARD

Yeah. Muffy was asleep. She’ll probably sleep at least an hour.

ROSE

Yeah, right. And Big Daddy and Erin are hanging out together on the edge, checking out the view.

RICHARD

Yeah. Can we see them from here?

ROSE

No, I don’t think so.

RICHARD

Oh. Well that should keep them busy for a little while.

ROSE

Yeah.

RICHARD

But we can’t leave them too long.

ROSE

Right. I know.

RICHARD

Dad needs to eat pretty frequently because of his diabetes.
ROSE

Yeah…So, what do you think? Can we go a little ways?

RICHARD

Well, yeah, I think we’ll be okay. Just a little ways.

ROSE

Just down there, around the corner. Okay?

RICHARD

Okay, just a little way. Just around the corner.

ROSE

Oh wow.

RICHARD

Yeah.

ROSE

Is that amazing, or what? The view completely changed.

RICHARD

You’re right, it did.

ROSE

Wow.

RICHARD

Wow.

ROSE

It’s amazing.

RICHARD

Oh, look. We can see a donkey train, right down there. Do you see it?

ROSE

Where?

RICHARD

Down there.

ROSE

Whoa. They’re like ants. Even smaller than ants. At first I couldn’t even see them.

RICHARD

Well, let’s go around that next corner.

ROSE

Yeah.

RICHARD

Oh my God. It just gets better and better! Can you believe it?

ROSE

No. Well, yes. Now that we’ve been here a few days, it’s kind of sinking in.

RICHARD

They say it takes a couple of days.

ROSE

I know. It was like all of a sudden a big space opened up inside my brain, and then I could comprehend how big this is. Like my brain had to make room for it.



RICHARD

That’s an interesting way of putting it.

ROSE

Wow. Over there I can see a little bit of the river. Do you see it?

RICHARD

Yeah. You know, there’s an Indian tribe that lives down there?

ROSE

Cool.

RICHARD

Okay, let’s go around the corner and see what’s there.

ROSE

Okay.

(Stops short and motions for Richard to stop and be quiet.)

RICHARD

(Whispering) What do you see?

ROSE

There’s a doe and a fawn. On the trail.

RICHARD

Oh my God, she’s gonna nurse it right here in front of us!

ROSE

Shhh. Don’t scare them.



RICHARD

Look at that. How cool!

ROSE

Wow.

RICHARD

Have you ever been that close to a doe nursing a fawn before?

ROSE

Unh uh.

RICHARD

Me either.

ROSE

Oh, look, those people got too close.

RICHARD

Yeah, she’s going.

ROSE

Dang!

RICHARD

Did you get a picture?

ROSE

Are you kidding? I never even thought to take my camera out.

RICHARD

Oh, too bad.

ROSE

There they go. Right up the side. Amazing.

RICHARD

Well, that was a treat.

ROSE

Really. No kidding.

RICHARD

Isn’t this great?

ROSE

This is awesome!

RICHARD

(Sighs) Well, maybe we better head back. I know, you want to go around that next corner, right? So do I. So do I. But babe, we can’t leave them for too long.

ROSE

I know. Okay, just one more corner. Okay? Honest, just one more. Come on. Please?

RICHARD

Okay. One more.

ROSE

Oh my God. Would you look at this view?

RICHARD

Wow.


ROSE

We’re in the middle of the Grand Canyon!

RICHARD

It really feels like it, doesn’t it?

ROSE

Really.

RICHARD

Oh God.

ROSE

What?

RICHARD

I can’t stand it! I have to see what’s around the corner!

ROSE

(Laughs) I know, it’s insane. It’s like a magnet that keeps pulling us in further.

RICHARD

Babe, this is great!

ROSE

We have to do this again when we have more time.

RICHARD

Yeah, right.

ROSE

By the way do we have any water?

RICHARD

I don’t. Do you?

ROSE

Nope.

RICHARD

Shit.

ROSE

Damn.

RICHARD

You know, I think we’d better turn back now.

ROSE

Yeah, I know. We should.

RICHARD

It’s the hottest part of the day.

ROSE

Yeah, and it’s all uphill going back.

RICHARD

Yeah.

ROSE

Okay.

RICHARD

Wait. Let’s just go around the next corner.

ROSE

Just a peek.

RICHARD

Really fast. And then that’s all.

ROSE

Right.

RICHARD

Right.

ROSE

Really.

No comments: